Big Bicycle Weekend, October 10-12—Featuring the Shasta Wheelmen Jamboree Rides!
October 11, 2014. The Shasta Wheelmen and Shasta Living Streets have joined forces to build on the past 45 years of this event and develop a series of rides and benefits to showcase cycling in Shasta County. These rides attract North State enthusiasts and out of area visitors from many areas of California, Oregon and Nevada.
In 1896 the Shasta Wheelmen began with 100 members. Today local riding is even better. Join us!
Reasons to sign up today:
- Ride in the foothills of Mt Lassen along country roads in oak woodlands, the Manton Valley, and ponderosa pine and cedar forests. Spectacular vistas of surrounding mountains around every bend.
- Experience challenging ascents and spectacular descents, or choose a shorter ride with gentle rolling hills.
- Ride choices of 26, 41, 63, 103, or 126 miles
- For those who are up to the challenge, The GIVE ME WINGS Super Century (126 miles) offers elite cyclists spectacular climbing, descents and beauty that thrill seekers rave about. Vertical gain = 12,000 feet.
- Full sag support, rest, snack and lunch stops. A meal after the ride. Rest stops sponsored by local businesses and organizations supporting Shasta county culture and outdoor living.
- Wildcard on Wheels! A post-ride party celebrating the joys of cycling in Shasta County at the home of one of our favorite local craft brewers. Enjoy good beer, local music and great conversation. Your friends and family are invited to the party whether they ride or not. Riders will receive benefits.
- Support Better Bikeways, greenways and trails. Proceeds from the rides will benefit the programs of Shasta Living Streets.
- Commemorative T-shirts will be free to those who register on or before September 28, 2014.
- After ride meal provided by Fresh Fire Grill - Pulled pork sandwiches, teriyaki chicken thigh w/ rice, and salad.
Multiple events round out a BIG BICYCLE WEEKEND
Friday Night Oct 10: Better Bikeways celebration at Carnegie’s in downtown Redding. A pre-ride meal and social event. Take a ride from there and explore the new bikeway on California Street.
Saturday Oct 11: Shasta Wheelmen Jamboree Rides.
Saturday Night Oct 11: Wildcard on Wheels! A party and fundraiser celebrating the joys of cycling in Shasta County at the home of one of our favorite local craft brewers. Enjoy good beer, local music and great conversation.
Sunday Oct 12: Family Trail Day hosted by Friends of the Redding Trails Lunch and music on the Sacramento River Trail, with a number of outdoor, trail-related organizations sharing information and activities. For locals and visitors.
Friday-Sunday, Oct 10-12. For a full celebration of two-wheeled riding in Shasta County – enjoy the events for motorcycle enthusiasts at Big Bike Weekend! You are invited to join or watch the Remembrance Ride on Friday night and visit the activities at the Hilltop Holiday Inn, including a Bike Show and competition and Strongman Competition.
SHASTA JAMBOREE RIDE DESCRIPTIONS
The GIVE ME WINGS Super Century (126 miles) Are you up to the challenge? Few professional-level routes can beat what this ride offers in climbing, descents and spectacular beauty. Climb to the base of an extinct volcano, fast descent into the remote Manton Valley. Ride through rangeland and thick forest, over streams. The final descent is unequaled. Total vertical gain is about 12,000 feet. Ride starts from 5:30 a.m.
The Lassen Foothills Century (102 miles) One of the most challenging Century rides in California. Travel a circular route in the shadow of Mt. Lassen from the plains, up steep mountain roads to Oak Run, Buzzard Roost and the Phillips summit. Total vertical gain is about 9400 feet. Five rest stops, with lunch at 50 mi. Ride start from 6:00 a.m.
The Ponderosa Ride (63 miles) Ride rolling hills, climb Whitmore Road to Ponderosa with scenic forests of oak, pine and cedar to 3030 ft, then a fast downhill with no need for braking. Total vertical gain is about 4300 feet. Ride starts from 7:00 a.m.
Ash Creek Ride (41 miles) This route includes gently rolling hills and wide vistas and adds a ride along the spectacular rock wall fences built in the oak woodlands. A deliciously smooth descent on the return. Rest stops at 5 miles and 22 miles. Ride starts from 8:00 a.m.
Millville Plains Ride (26 miles) The route takes you on gently rolling hills crossing Cow Creek a few times. You will pass ranches and farms and travel along roads shaded by massive oak trees and onto the Millville Plains Road with spectacular wide vistas of surrounding mountains. Rest stop at 11 miles. Ride starts from 8:30 a.m.
Detailed route information, maps, photos at shastawheelmen.org
2014 Super Century Jersey now available from Voler! Click here to place your order.
The Shasta Wheelmen Bicycling Club is a cycling group whose membership is family-oriented and welcomes riders of all ages. Founded in 1970, it is affiliated with the League of American Bicyclists, the California Association of Bicycling Organizations, and Adventure Cycling.
We are located in beautiful Redding California.
Club rides are scheduled on each Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and on some holidays. Guests are invited to attend these rides, with the provision that helmets are worn on all rides and liability waivers are signed. With Redding as the club base, a wide variety of terrain is available for riding, varying from flat to rolling hills to mountains.
We interact with the public and with local government agencies to promote safe, effective cycling, improved road conditions to facilitate bicycle commuting as well as recreational riding, and cyclists’ rights to the use of the roads.
Meetings are held at 7:00 pm on the first Monday of each month at Shasta Regional Medical Center, 1100 Butte Street Redding 96001, Liberty Room 2, go through main lobby and make a right turn, then left turn, it is the first meeting room with glass windows on the right. Guests are welcome!
The Club Meeting for September 1st, 2014 (Labor Day) has been moved to Good Times Pizza in Palo Cedro due to unavailability at Shasta Regional Medical Center.